Thursday, April 12, 2012

This Morning 4/12/12 Trusting Your Car Mechanic


Car Repair Stations

I'm sitting in the car service station getting my annual inspection - or not getting it.  My 2002 Subaru with 150K miles is in great shape, but the "check engine" light is on.  This is a common thing for Subaru's.  We'll see how it turns out with this new place I'm using for my inspection.  

I used to go to another station, upon the recommendation of a friend, but there were a few situations which made me wonder about the owner's integrity, and I withdrew my business.  It happened over something unnecessary I suppose.  He charged me for something I felt he shouldn't have.  If I would've questioned him, he might have changed his mind, but I didn't give him the chance.  

The car repair shop I used before that was also recommended from a friend.  When they charged me $20 to replace a gas cap, I hit the roof.  I inquired about it and they didn't budge, so I said bye-bye!

Entrusting your car to someone is really an intimate matter.  There is a common prejudice about mechanics that they will try to get as much money from you as possible.  It makes sense.  They are in business for themselves, and they are responsible for safe operation of specific, necessary mechanical parts during an inspection.  If they fail at their job, the results could be catastrophic.  Why shouldn't they try to fix everything they can?!

If I were to create my perfect car repair man - yes, that is a stereotype - I suppose I would have to throw together the knowledge of my original Volvo guy, the personality and compassion of my former boyfriend, the honesty of my former drummer-turned-judge, the mechanical instinct of my former husband, the humor of my former father-in-law, and the good looks of this drop-dead gorgeous Navajo musician I know!  Yes, that would do it perfectly!  

With that combination, I do believe I could trust my next mechanic! 

No comments:

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.