Sunday, September 16, 2012

This Morning 9/16/12 To Balance the Flow

I have been focused on school and work these last few mornings, not prioritizing writing here.  I'm writing papers, opinions and critiques as part of my classes.  Some I have posted here, which is fair game!

This morning I painted for the first time in months.  After my Fast in June, I sketched the painting on a canvas and it has been sitting for months, waiting on the easel in my sunny mudroom by the front door.  This morning, I could not walk by or glance past or bear the screams of "Paint me!" that I've been hearing lately each time I pass through.

Today is my study day, my homework day, my day of rest, and my day to decide where to balance the flow of necessary obligations and instinctual desires.  The desires won this morning!

But somehow I know that the act of painting - allowing my brain to express its more instinctive, intuitive and abstract center - will inform and enhance my ability to study and form ideas into words.  Concrete thinking is a necessary aspect of the subjects I am studying now.  But just as listening to Mozart unfolds the brain's capacity for understanding concepts and improving reading, balancing the flow of intellectual and intuitive pursuits enhances my efforts in both spheres.

Last week, I wrote about my need to sing.  I wrote that cutting off my singing in my life is equivalent to not breathing. "Singing is how I breathe," I wrote.  I drew a correlation between my lack of singing and my inability to walk and how this is the second time in my life when I stopped walking during a time of not singing.  So, now, I am singing more at home and in general.  And I am walking now, as well, unassisted by crutches or canes.

Balancing the Flow.  It's something to be continually reminding ourselves to do.

No comments:

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.