Saturday, January 25, 2014

Why Graduate School


           When I returned to school four years ago after raising my children, I did so knowing I was entering an arena of both complexity and privilege.   I have not been disappointed by the challenge.  Fortunately and, at times, inconveniently, my thirst for knowledge propels me toward endless questioning of the status quo as it relates to the perpetual balancing act between nature and human nature.   Public health studies have highlighted the multiple intersections where socio-ecological determinants of collective and individual ills exist, yet glaring disparities parallel as both product and predictor and can seem, therefore, insurmountable.  Ethical abuses of technology and increasing environmental dangers leave me with far more questions than answers about how to stay poised in a postmillennial context. The answers I have found, though, have to do with why everyone deserves an equal opportunity at quality education, regular dental screenings, and the same standard of regard whether one is born in Bangladesh or Norway.   Addressing equity issues on structural, cultural, and
policy levels can change the course of populations’ outcomes even in the midst of uncertainty.
As a lifelong environmentalist, feminist, and composer, it has been easy to independently volunteer myself for organizing events and writing for myriad worthy causes, yet 90% of my efforts have been seen and shared with others who are ideologically akin and feel satisfied just being part of the process.  The payoff is frontloaded by design - showing up has seemed to be enough.  This is no longer my perspective on meaningful participation.  Globalization and the Technology Age have changed this equation.  Standing on a bridge with a sign seems rather banal and effortless at this point and showing up just isn’t enough anymore.
The next step, a graduate degree, positions me to engage in research and application of theoretically designed mechanisms to employ far-reaching educationally-based equity strategies.    I intend to work with non-governmental organizations and developmental foundations implementing functional approaches to dysfunctional imbalances in social determinants.  Significant reductions in maternal mortality in Sri Lanka and successful bio-sustainability educational interventions in Ecuador are examples where a state’s overall equity baseline shifted with sustained multi-sector approaches.  Educating women leads to economic growth and increased life expectancy, as well as decreasing generational poverty syndrome.  These are the research and concentration areas I wish to further explore.
With a solid background in public service and human rights event planning, I have organized locally for the UN initiative, Season for Nonviolence, as well as the Mizero Foundation of Rwanda, One Nation Sovereignty Project, Food & Water Watch, All Nations Peace, Earth Day, etc.  I have been a music professional and educator, using classrooms and stages as vehicles for cultural understanding through the arts.  My Cherokee ancestry has helped me reach across barriers that separate to invoke respect and appreciation for both the similarities and differences inherent in each river and each person.   I look forward to expanding these experiences and concepts into measurable outcomes for years to come.


No comments:

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.