Today is Hallmark Card Day.
When I had a sweetheart, of course I called it Valentine's Day. Most people don't know who St. Valentine was, or even care that there was a St. Valentine. One of the martyrs for Christendom, Roman Emperor Claudius II had the priest beheaded for marrying couples and championing conversions to the church. This is not exactly what people want to have on their minds over a romantic dinner by candlelight. Hallmark figured that out!
The consumer culture cultivated by the sweetheart holiday runs the course from flower shops to chocolatiers and winemakers, as well as, greeting card companies, movie theaters, restaurants, and jewelers. With over $17 billion expected to be spent in the U.S. for this "love celebration," I can't help wondering where else that money could be used besides making us fat, vain and hypnotized.
I'm obviously not expecting anything today. Although my "former" will probably send something - like he does to his ex-wife, and high school sweetheart - every year! Something about some promise to her in high school when she was crying sitting next to him in Chemistry class because she had no Valentine that year. God, do I hate this club!
Well, I'm going to go hear Jesse Jackson talk now at the local college and keep in mind the words of Lily Tomlin: "If love is the answer, can you please rephrase the question?"!
No comments:
Post a Comment