I was emailing with a friend and we were lamenting the singles scene for the over-50 crowd.
It's funny because just yesterday, my local public radio station broadcast a program on that very topic. It must be the new black - dating over 50! For once, I'm in vogue!
To say "dating" is a bit of a misnomer. I think of dating as a non-committal, non-exclusive, friendly hanging out. I don't think of dating as sleeping with someone once or twice. That's just sex for fun. Dating has more of a playful aire to it, almost courting, but much less serious. It's more like companionship with possibility. It definitely doesn't mean sex. Once the sex happens, then it becomes something more akin to relationship. Call me old-fashioned. It's a process.
I think I'm in the minority with this viewpoint. Some like to test-drive the car first; I like to have a long look around at all the exterior and interior nooks before I decide to even sit in the front seat. I have a sister who has been doing the "dating with sex" (DWX) thing for years. She's approaching 50 now and has decided DWX is not satisfying her. It never has been of interest to me.
I've been married and divorced. I've been married and divorced. That was intentional - repeating that sentence - because it has happened twice. I'm not sure I ever thought about growing old with anyone. I just don't think that far ahead. (Refer to 2/10/12 blog) Although my eyes need glasses to read close, my brain needs glasses to read far. Love has a way of skewing things for its own sake!
So, I'm going on a date tomorrow with my Former - that's my word for an old boyfriend. It will be a date - no sex, no commitment, just a friendly hanging out to share food, some laughs and a memory or two. This date will be singular though. It will always be just
singularly a date, as opposed to us dating. Yes, it is companionship, but without the possibility, it leaves a bit of aftertaste.
I think I'd better start dating soon.