Wednesday, February 22, 2012

This Morning 2/22/12

The Auspicious Five Kilometers

I like my winters like my salsa...mild.  It is expected to hit the 60 degree Fahrenheit mark today.  It's February and that silly groundhog did see its shadow in the beginning of the month, signalling six more weeks of winter.  However, since then, the weather has been nothing but pleasant and almost Spring-like.

I stopped running nearly six months ago.  In September, I became busy with classes and decided I didn't have time for it right now.  I often will not want to go outside much when I even smell winter coming.  The huge  snow and ice storm in October which knocked out power, heat and water, as well as trees and a telephone pole for four days convinced me I was not interested in testing Mother Nature.  Since then, though, there has been little excuse for my avoidance of the outside.  .

When I start running, my first goal is always to run one mile.  I don't always make it for days, but when I do, I feel I've  accomplished something great.  I could almost just stay at that level, but I feel guilty after two or three days of easing into the pace of this milestone.  I ratchet up the expectation to 1.5 miles and increase at 1/10 mile intervals.  However, I have never made my overall goal of a running 5K.  Perhaps it has something to do with being stuck between the USA measurement (based on the English system) and Metric measurement systems.  However, not even the English are stuck in that limbo anymore.  While they and the rest of the world have gone metric, the Americans are sadly, stubbornly holding on to a standard which is practically nonexistent.

We can't go on like this forever.  Only Myanmar (Burma), Liberia and the USA are holding on to this antiquated system of feet, pounds, gallons and Fahrenheit. Poor Daniel Fahrenheit - it was a good run!   At some point soon, globalization will demand a shift to only metric measurements. Perhaps the math and science test scores of USA students would improve if our children were being taught this measurement system as the standard instead of as an alternative.

Besides, it sure is going to be good to say I ran 5K instead of 3.1 miles!  Until then, at 1.6 meters and 61 kg, sitting on my .6 hectare of land, drinking 354 ml of coffee...have a jolly good day!

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.