Friday, April 27, 2012

This Morning 4/27/12 - Eggs

Eggs

I've never been one to commit very easily.  This is probably why it has taken me 30 years to come back to college to earn the degree I've aspired to my entire life.  It is also most likely why I've been married and divorced - twice -  and have spent the last 8 years with someone who I knew would never really move toward a permanent living arrangement together.  It's interesting how hindsight works so well!  We say we want things differently but then we persist at keeping things the same.

It all comes down to eggs.  Eggs in a basket.

The expression goes, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."  This is a very helpful adage when you are addressing financial investment issues.  This is a very helpful adage when you are addressing job skills.  This is even helpful when deciding on friends.  It's good to diversify, have options and keep life interesting.  However, putting all your eggs in one basket has to be valuable when it comes to something.

It's a hard thing to do, though, when you are used to always having a way out.  Can someone who has always known the way out create the safety to stay in a house without a door?  Perhaps that's too drastic a thought!  I'd better go back to eggs.

But the analogy is not lost.  When does it become okay to put all your eggs in one basket and not fear the worst?

I don't really have the answer, but this question is part of the process; and the process is something I'm very committed to.

Practical application and theoretical analysis are both part of the process.  One without the other is only half the equation.  With all the eggs in play, each deserves a chance.



No comments:

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.