Sunday, April 22, 2012

This Morning 4/22/12 - My Birthday Breakfast

Yesterday my daughter and son gave me a birthday surprise party at my favorite cafe!  What a wonderful surprise.  Many people I've known for many years came - it was a family of friends and adopted relatives who have become part of the webbing of my life the past 25 years.

When the special nature of loved ones is thrown into view, unmasked and brilliantly clear, it calls back a feeling of belonging from an ancient instinctive past.  Knowing love is not a question of degree.

I once asked my son when he was younger than 13 who his best friend was.  He looked at me squarely and said, "I don't rate my friends."

This was one of the most honest, pure and forthright things I have ever heard in my life.

People hurt us and we hurt them.  People leave us and we leave them.  People test us and we test them.  It is humanity's way of weeding out where we belong.  Today one person in this group insulted me.  I think I know why, but it is only speculation at this point.  We are complex - we human beings.  The best we can do is to be loving.

Even when we feel badly and we've been hurt, the best we can do is to be loving. This doesn't mean we don't express ourselves or our feelings, but it does mean doing so in a good way.  And forget about rating the insult - in the context of love, it doesn't rate.



No comments:

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.