Education Degrees
There are so many phony degree programs floating in cyberspace. Those most egregious and misrepresentative of value seem to be associated with either authors, speakers, "healers," or life coaches - the entrepreneurial whoo-whoo's who have great ideas to share (read: cash in on) but no educational credentials to substantiate their expertise in these espoused subject areas.
John Gray, author of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, has his PhD from an unaccredited, correspondence course-oriented California university cited over years for unqualified staff and deceptive practices regarding issuance of PhD degrees. Eventually, in 1999, they were ordered closed by a California court.
The career choice of author or speaker or "expert" ought to require one be truthful and coherent in presentation and authenticity. Otherwise the moniker of "salesperson, charlatan, or b.s.-er" becomes applicable. Not everyone is an excellent presenter, but when one espouses knowledge in a public setting, the absolute ceiling of your knowledge base better match or exceed the expectation assigned. Hanging the letters, Ph.D., after your name should mean something similar to what it is generally accepted to mean.
I have no patience for phony, fast-lane, degree mills which exist because the market allows people to pay a monetary price for prestige, but not the intellectual or investment cost of learning through the process of time and rigor. There are many ways to learn. Sitting at the feet of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi for nine years (as John Gray did) is certainly experiential applicable learning, but you don't get to say you have a Ph.D. because of this. You get to say you sat at the feet of Maharishi. In some people's eyes, this is much more impressive than a degree.
I'm glad I'm acquiring my degree the way I am. I'm glad I'm not taking short cuts just to say I have a degree. I'm glad I'm earning it the way it is generally regarded as earned.
No comments:
Post a Comment