It's been a week since I've been back from the hill. Seven days past now. It is quite amazing to experience life from this perspective. Everything feels new and fresh. The concept of being "bothered" to do something inane is absent. I'm enjoying my alone time and I'm enjoying my visiting times. The beautiful weather most likely has contributed to this sense of ease, but I'm not entirely convinced of that either. Today it rains, but feels the same.
I read the Edith Wharton short story, The Other Two. She is considered one of the most celebrated female authors of the 20th century, and was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for her novel, The Age of Innocence. Wharton was the daughter of the upper class couple, George and Lucretia Jones, and a product of her family's social status and privileged New York lifestyle which is said to have produced the phrase, "keeping up with the Joneses!" Her writing is logical and she is a master at building emotional tension within a storyline. I can see that she paved the way for my favorite female author, Willa Cather, to win the Pulitzer in literature two years later. Breaking a glass ceiling is no small task.
No comments:
Post a Comment