Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This Morning 6/27/12 Managing

I don't mind being managed in the context of work.  I'm very surprised at this revelation.  For over two decades, I have been self-employed almost exclusively, taking direction from only myself.  I haven't been too successful, though, in the context of self-management.  I have gotten by, but haven't been successful in the ways this society demands it - by making enough money to manage my life well.

I'm learning about managing and self-management at my new job.  Managing others involves trust as well as direction.  It requires patience and understanding as well as vision and adherence to a system.  Of utmost importance is a commitment to standards which keep the operational aspects synchronized with the contact or outflow needs of the business.

These same standards apply to self-managing.  Whether applying for grants to create art or maintaining personal finances, there must be commitment to standards which are, essentially, the backline of functionality; adherence to a set of rules created to support a principle to thrive.

(continued in Part II: What about unemployment?)

No comments:

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.