We humans, circa 2012, have a tendency to bore easily. Why this is can be debated. But the facet of our basic instinct that wants to be engaged or entertained, is undeniable.
We watch TV, we do Facebook, we participate in sports, we read blogs, we overeat, we get busy, we speak - to ourselves or our co-engagers (animal, mechanical or otherwise), we Tweet, we plan events, and plan events, and plan events...
I have a friend who plans very well. He plans so well, and with such detailed acumen, that he never actually does anything with the planned events. He feels fulfilled by the act of planning! The issue seems to be an extremely high level of boredom complicated by a depressive disorder. This is forgivable!
I have another friend who plans and executes events as a exercise in advancing peace in the world. Specifically, peace and understanding between cultures. This, as well, is forgivable, and even admirable!
I have another friend who plans events for commerce. In other words, she engages people in events and organizes trips that she, herself, would like to take. Then, she invites others to come along for her own profit. This, to me, is not so admirable, nor it is forgivable!
Call me anti-capitalist. Call me an abundance-curmudgeon! Call me a bleeding-heart liberal. I'll take the charges.
What is it about these kinds of events that bothers me?
I'm rather conservative when it comes to money. Not having a great amount of cash-on-hand in general creates a necessity for conservation consciousness. Oh, wait, I'd better trademark that: ConservationConsciousnness(tm). That's better. Now I've made claim to a concept no one else can use without me having the right to sue them. My sarcasm is not lost, I hope.
Isn't that the way it works in this events-for-profit model?
It's about "having."
Having an experience available to a select group and claiming it?
Isn't it really just another capitalistic endeavor for the "haves" veiled as new age/alternative (to the mainstream) abundance-consciousness event?
Does all the "do-gooding" that these people do really balance out the classcism so overtly exercised by their apparent self-proclaimed alternative, all-is-oneness idealism?
My answer is a resounding, "No!"
There is still something wrong with the model. Exclusivity is separateness. All the events in the world for all the "haves" who can afford it will not make a difference until the "have-nots" have a seat on their plane! (apply double-entendre here)
No comments:
Post a Comment