My House
It's March and there are so little days left until I have to get myself ready to move from this place - my little blue house on the hill.
Since 1996, I've lived in this house; first with my husband and kids; then with my kids for ten years; and now, alone with my cat, Wakiyan. It's a great little house which would be a wonderful dwelling for a single person or couple only. For me, there are too many memories and my kids' rooms are still stuffed with their belongings they've yet to sift through. It's not a good house for this single person; although I love my bedroom with it's lavender walls and paintings arranged in asymmetric patterns. As well, I love the colors and feathers, drums and sage crowns adorning the southwest wall. I have lived here.
Set on top of a hill against woods, overlooking over 40 acres of farmland, the driveway is about nearly a quarter mile long. It's a frame house build in the 1940's; there's a barn foundation and garage with a loft unattached. The actual land that "belongs" to the house is a little over an acre.
The songs, the dreams, the romance, the struggles, the prayers - this house has made them safe. I am grateful to these walls and the spirits that live here for keeping me so long.