Wednesday, May 16, 2012

This Morning 5/16/12 - Commencement Speech

The Commencement Speech

Below is my Commencement speech for tonight as I am awarded my first college degree: Associate of Arts in Communication.  What a blessing to have worked for this accomplishment and earned it!!

                                                                                                                                                  The Process

                The real measure of one’s life is not decided by any single accomplishment, but in the culmination of decisions and events which lead up to it.   Standing here in the robes of this accomplishment of graduation from Lehigh Carbon Community College, we must not focus on the letters after our names, but on the development of standards garnered amid the process of acquiring these letters.

                It is not easy to succeed at anything which takes an investment of time.  I returned to college at age 48, thirty years after I began. Thirty years is a very long semester break!  I have lived a lifetime in various professions already.  But my learning process had been incomplete until I stepped forward - -back into this theater of learning where the reward is not a paycheck or, for that matter, a grade.  The reward is the acquired acumen and insight that comes from weathering the storms that accompanied these past two years; to have arrived on this day, remembering the journey and reinforcing why I began it.     

And as for storms – there certainly have been more than a few …

                For example, when I first took my Compass test for mathematics at Donley Campus, the proctor offered me a calculator.  I looked at her very sincerely and asked, “What’s that for?”  After decades of ignoring all but the most simple, essential mathematical applications, I had spent the previous three weeks cramming with a retired Lehigh University math professor.  He taught me how to do Algebra longhand, on paper.  So, I looked at the proctor and I refused the calculator.  Well, luckily, the longhand paid off and I made it into Intermediate Algebra - which I needed to graduate.  However, when I arrived in my first week of classes, my co-students were tapping away on their calculators figuring out equations faster than I could turn the thing on!  Yes, it was humiliating and humbling and more than a few tears were shed, but ultimately, perseverance, along with help from John in the Tutoring Lab and Ed Dolack, won the hard-fought battle to survive the process; and that gave me my best reward. 
Also, I learned to use a TI-86 pretty well!

                Life offers us choices.  Between these choices,  we encounter what I like to call happy and tragic accidents.  The happy ones, like falling in love, are inspiring and enlivening and seem to make the rest of our lives easier.  But the tragic accidents, like losing a friend to the irresponsibility of a drunk driver, give us pause about what is really important in our lives.  This is where choice comes in.   What is really important to you?  And how do you live your life so that what is important to you is truly honored? 

                When I ask these questions, I’m not asking about favorite sports, music or websites.  I’m asking about what is in your heart.  I’m asking about your dreams for yourself.  I’m asking about your sense of purpose – what you can give to the world that is uniquely yours. 

                We all have dreams.  We all have been children with hopes for our future.   Don’t forget this part of you.  You are meant to do something good in this world – if even just one thing that changes someone’s life, or gives someone their sense of worth, or makes one person feel that someone cares.  Don’t doubt the power of every word, deed or intention you have.  Every great invention or act of humanity begins with someone’s single thought. 

                We’ve made it to this point in our lives – where important choices about whether to continue the educational track or to go into the workforce matter.  They matter because whichever you decide, the chances are you will stick with it for a number of years.   Perhaps you will decide to take a year off before you pursue your Bachelor’s degree, or maybe you have a master plan all mapped out already. There is still time to decide, but you must decide.  Your decisions will mark the footprints left behind you.  Between the happy and tragic accidents over which we have no control, these footprints are yours to determine.  They are what you have something to say about.  Choose what is important and choose wisely.

                The author of The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho,  has an interesting take on Wisdom.  He relates that “Knowledge only becomes Wisdom within the framework of transformation.”  In other words, we must be willing to be changed by the knowledge we acquire; allowing it to organically integrate, so that one day, when the need arrives, we have it at our fingertips without effort.   This, my friends, is at the heart of real education.  Letting the knowledge of all the experiences you’ve had here at LCCC and throughout your life, transform you so that you learn decision-making, leadership, patience, endurance, humility, gratitude, compassion and commonality.
               
                In all things, you are not responsible for the outcome of any situation; however, you are responsible for your effort.   That effort is your process.

                I’ve found one prevailing way to insure that I can accept and even embrace this process no matter how hard it is.  In times when the tide seems to be hitting me left and right and I don’t know which way to turn, my best advice to everyone is simple.  Give thanks.  Find those things in your life for which you can be thankful and name them.  (Repeatedly!)    A grateful heart will always be your very best friend.

                I would like to close with a short Cherokee song we sing to greet every new day.  Upon this graduation, I would like to welcome you to your new day.

                Thank you for this opportunity to share. 
                 Wado. 

                

No comments:

About Me

This blog is a commitment to write every morning, for every morning.